Skullcap herb, traditionally recognized for its ability to soothe nerves and promote healthy sleep. Historically used by the native Americans for centuries to treat menstrual disorders, nervousness, digestive and kidney problems.
It is often used in herbal preparations such as tea, extracts, capsules, and more.
It has a calming and balancing effect on the body. Herbalists use skullcap during the day for a calming effect or in the evening to support healthy sleep
Skullcap is Native American plant, the dried leaves and stems of which are used as an herbal medication and in teas to treat anxiety, stress and insomnia. Skullcap has been linked to several instances of clinically apparent liver injury, but usually in combination with other botanicals.
Skullcap is a minty perennial herb which has tiny purple flowers and offers many health benefits. The Skullcap herb has shown powerful antioxidant effects, helps calm nerves, treats fever, and has a synergistic effect that helps other herbs and supplements be better absorbed. Let’s take a closer look at some of the awesome health benefits of this amazing herb.
Benefits of Skullcap
- Soothes Nervous System: Skullcap tea helps to soothe the nervous system and prevent seizure episodes. It has been traditionally used to reduce seizure frequency and severity in those patients.
- Manages Diabetes: Skullcap is able to increase the production of insulin by the pancreas and helps to control the insulin levels in the body. It has also been linked to lower cholesterol levels, which is an increasing factor in diabetes
- Reduces Inflammation: A number of people who suffer with arthritis and inflammatory bowel diseases are using skullcap as a home remedy as it has some pretty effective anti-inflammatory properties.
- Prevents Cancer: It is an herbal remedy that has been known to encourage apoptosis (sudden cell death), in cancerous cells and is used for natural treatment of cancer. Skullcap avoids the spread of cancerous cells and slows tumor growth.
- Relieves Anxiety: When prepared as a tea, it encourages the release of endorphins and generally balances your mood. Phenolic compounds can have a wide range of effect on our hormonal balance, as they happen to be rich in antioxidant compounds. Another herb that does this well is saw palmetto
- Removes Toxins: Looking for a way to detoxify your body and boost your overall health? Skullcap may just be what you’re looking for. It’s been related with an increased antioxidant activity in the liver, which is one of the slowest-recovering organs, and this effect can considerably boost the efficiency of your liver.
Find out more about this wonderful herb at Health Benefits Times