Yerba Mate is an uplifting and energizing herb that is indigenous to the Amazon and is wildly popular throughout parts of South America for its robust flavor. Often thought of as the “tea” of Latin America, yerba mate is one of just four botanicals in the Americas to contain caffeine. It has a bittersweet, earthy and mineral flavor with nuances of olive leaf and eucalyptus. Traditional roasting and aging of yerba mate creates a pleasant, toasted aroma and ranging complexity.
Made from the leaves and twigs of the Ilex paraguariensis plant.
Yerba mate is traditionally consumed from a container called a gourd and sipped with a metal straw that has a filter at its lower end to strain out the leaf fragments.
Sharing it from this traditional gourd is said to be a sign of friendship and bonding.
Benefits of Yerba Mate:
- Rich in Antioxidants and Nutrients: Yerba mate is an antioxidant powerhouse that contains many beneficial plant nutrients.
- Can Boost Energy and Improve Mental Focus: Thanks to its caffeine content, yerba mate can help increase your energy levels and boost your mental focus.
- May Enhance Physical Performance: Yerba mate increases your body’s reliance on fat for fuel during exercise. It may also improve muscle contractions and reduce fatigue, all of which may contribute to better physical performance.
- May Protect Against Infections: Yerba mate may have some anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic, and anti-fungal properties. However, more research is needed.
- May Help You Lose Weight and Belly Fat: Yerba mate may reduce appetite, boost metabolism, and increase the amount of fat burned for fuel. This could help you lose weight.
- Lowers Blood Sugar Levels: Yerba mate may improve insulin signaling and blood sugar control. However, more human research is needed.
- May Lower Your Risk of Heart Disease: Yerba mate’s antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and cholesterol-lowering properties may help protect against heart disease.