CLAYS – AROMATIC APPLICATIONS FOR THE SKIN
The use of clay is becoming a part of our beauty routine , and they all serve different purpose and are sometimes used differently. FACIAL CLAY ARE NOT ALWAYS OIL ABSORBING.
The use of clay many times involves making a paste : mixing the clay with water. Personally i prefer & recommend the use of Hydrosol (rose or lavender) in place of water when making a facial mask. Lets talk about various type of clay and the benefits
- Bentonite Clay
- French Green clay
- Green Illite Clay
- Pink Kaolin Clay
- Red Kaolin Clay
- White Kaolin Clay
- Yellow Kaolin Clay
- Multani Mitti Clay
- Red Illite Clay
- Moroccan Rhassoul Clay
- Rose Clay
- Sea Clay
- Dead Sea Mud Powder
- BENTONITE CLAY is a combination of montmorillonite (swells in water) and volcanic ash. Bentonite Clay is a highly absorbent clay that pulls oils and toxins from the skin and is one of the best clays for making poultices. it is best suited for oily skin. It is one of the best clay for shaving soap (use 1tablespoon for 500ml soap) and for use as an oily hair and scalp treatment.
- FRENCH GREEN CLAY consists mostly of montmorillonite (swells in water) and is highly efficient at drawing oils and toxin from the skin. French green clay is rich in important minerals and phyto-nutrients and is the most commonly used therapeutic clay. can be used for facials and body wraps . French Green clay can also be used in soaps ( 1 tablespoon per kg ) and body / foot powders.
- GREEN ILLITE CLAY is efficient at drawing oils and toxins from the skin and is also often mistaken for FRENCH GREEN CLAY. Green Illite clay is similar in structure to montmorillonite and doesn’t expand in water. It is used for detoxification and exfoliating of the skin. It can also be used in soap making.
- PINK KAOLIN CLAY is a gentle clay , making it suitable for sensitive skin. It helps stimulate circulation to the skin while gently exfoliating and cleansing it. Pink Kaolin Clay does not draw oils from the skin and can therefore be used on dry skin types. Pink Kaolin Clay can be used in body powder to keep skin dry.
- RED KAOLIN CLAY is mildly absorbent and is used for drawing oils and toxins from the skin. it can be used in facials and body wraps for normal skin. Red kaolin Clay can also be sued as a natural colorant in soaps.
- WHITE KAOLIN CLAY , also known as China or White clay , is basically kaolinite and is the mildest of all clays. White kaolin clay is suitable for sensitive skin. It helps stimulate circulation to the skin while gently exfoliating and cleansing it. White Kaolin Clay does not draw oils from the skin and can be used on dry skin types.
- YELLOW KAOLIN CLAY is a mild clay making it for sensitive skin. It helps stimulate circulation to the skin while gently exfoliating and cleansing it. Yellow Kaolin Clay does not draw oils from the skin excessively and can therefore be used on most dry skin types. It can be used in soap and body powders.
- MULTANI MITTI CLAY , also known as Indian Fuller Earth, is similar to kaolin clay. It is formed by the decomposition of volcanic ash. Fullers used it to clean sheep’s wool prior to spinning it, and hence the reason for its name. Multani Mitti Clay is highly absorbent. It is good for drawing excess oil from the skin and stimulating circulation to the skin.
- RED ILLITE CLAY is efficient at drawing oils and toxins from the skin , its suitable for oily skin. Red Illite Clay is similar in structure to montmorillonite and does not expand in water . It is used for detoxification and exfoliation of the skin. Red Illite Clay can also be used in soap making and other products as a natural color additive .
- MOROCCAN RHASSOUL CLAY (also called Ghassoul) is a super fine ancient clay that comes from deep below the Atlas Mountains in Morocco. Although Moroccan Rhassoul Clay is difficult to obtain from the deep clay beds, it has been used for centuries by the ancient people of Rome and Egypt. Rhassoul Clay is rich in minerals such as Silica, Magnesium, iron, Calcium, Potassium and sodium. It helps detoxify the skin while it exfoliates gently. Morocan Rhassoul clay is used by the finest spas around the world.
- ROSE CLAY is a mild kaolin clay that can be used on normal to dry skin to gentle cleanse and exfoliate the skin while improving the skin’s circulation. Rose clay is tinted with iron oxides and gives a beautiful pink color to soaps and powder
- SEA CLAY is a kaolinite clay of a grayish green color . Sea Clay has high content of minerals and helps to draw oils while mineralizing the skin. Use Sea clay for facials and body wraps.
- DEAD SEA MUD POWDER is 14 mesh and can be used on the face or body. It contains no additives. Dead Sea Mud Powder is rich inthe wide array of minerals found at the bottom of the Dead Sea . It can be used alone or combined with othe clays to help exfoliate and mineralize the skin. Dead Sea Mud powder is a nutritive choice for exfoliating scrubs and soap.
IN OUR NEXT POST , WE WILL BE SHARING THERAPEUTIC CLAY RECIPE FOR DIFFERENT SKIN TYPE
Please I want to know if its the normal clay we see around.Something like mud. Thanks
please I want to know if its the normal clay we commonly found around. something we use in moulding.