Willow Bark Extract is a source of natural salicylic acid-like ingredients which has been shown to contribute effects similar to those seen from synthetic salicylic acid with none of the drawbacks associated with its use, primarily irritation. As such, it is a safe way to get the benefits of a ß-hydroxy acid.
Salicylic acid, when used in cosmetic formulations at 0.5% to 1%, enhances skin cell turnover by promoting exfoliation, resulting in a general improvement in the appearance of the skin and a smoothing effect with accompanying reduction of fine lines and wrinkles. Also known for its antimicrobial properties, it can be useful as a remedy for skin conditions.
- it helps to reduce the buildup of dry, dull skin flakes.
- Willow Bark Extract has been found to be non-irritating to the skin, even at a level of 100%, equivalent to 10% synthetic salicylic acid.
- Willow Bark Extract has been found to increase stratum corneum turnover more so than salicylic acid – 24% as opposed to 22%.
- useful in targeted facial cleaners, toners and lotion formulas.
- testing has shown that, in cosmetic formulations, of varying degrees of complexity, Willow Bark Extract, when present in concentrations of 2.5 – 5%, contributes to the preservative efficacy of formulas even when no other synthetic chemical preservatives are used. It has proven efficacy against gram-positive, gram-negative bacteria, yeast, and mold.
Recommended Usage Level: 2.5-5%, up to 100%
Appearance: Colorless to light amber liquid
Solubility: Soluble in water, glycerine and propylene glycol, immiscible with oils.